Adding Hindi to the SecureDrop supported languages

Bonjour,

The SecureDrop Hindi translation completed by the combined efforts of @Anonymous26 @usmanmuhd98 @pwnchief @dksingh was 100% reviewed today by @drashti4.

In my opinion this is a solid and reliable team of localizers and Hindi should be added to the SecureDrop supported languages.

My only concern is that there currently is no known SecureDrop instance where this language would be activated (but I’d be happy to be wrong). Every active instance makes it easier for long term maintenance because users can become contributors to the localization effort. However it also is a chicken-and-egg problem: journalists with a Hindi speaking audience are unlikely to setup a SecureDrop instance if it does not support Hindi :wink:

What do you think?

P.S. As always a big thank to @erinm for her discreet and efficient work behind the scene :sunny:

3 Likes

Excellent, let’s add it - great work everyone! We do have some major news organizations that have expressed a desire to accept submissions in any language, so it’s possible it might be activated on existing instances.

1 Like

That’s great. Looking forward to see it.

2 Likes

@drashti4 now time for outreach :wink: I already pinged a couple of people who might know interested orgs. Any thoughts? Maybe we could also draft a tweet in Hindi when released.

1 Like

That would be great! When Hindi will get release for securedrop @dachary Approximate time?

The SecureDrop 0.7.0 release scheduled May 8th was postponed to May 15th because of a last minute technical hicup.

1 Like