Convention for "reverting" code

Currently in ansible we have to upgrade existing confs. It is mostly due to fixing bug in production, but it could also happen for peculiar update of non-containerized services or whatever. This might suppose to remove old conf before deploying the new one. This can be some code like:

- name: cleanup old nameservers config
  lineinfile:
    path: /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
    line: "prepend domain-name-servers {{ hostvars['bind-host']['ansible_host'] }};"
    state: absent

Since it is intended to occurs only once in production, this kind of code has some special/ephemeral status. So I wonder how to consider it:

• we should maintain it because it is part of project history;

• we should remove it as soon it made its job because it’s accumulation will be buggy and confusing.

I think it is better for long term to remove it. But if we choose to remove it we have to organize ourself to do so. I would propose to:

• mark the considered code using comments;
  • define a removal condition: for avoiding ambiguousness we should prefer some machine readable code like grep -q 'prepend domain-name-server' /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf && echo Do not remove it || echo Ok, you can remove it rather than some complex discussion;
  • open a bug tagged “Revert cleanup” referring precisely the code bloc and the removal condition;
  • add the proposal in documented conventions.

What do you think?

1 Like

Great question, @fpoulain! We’ve wrestled with this problem on long-running servers, as well. There are a couple workable solutions, with varying degrees of effort to get them implemented. The trick is to strike a balance between up-front investment in the config declaration with the maintenance burden over time.

Short answer: use templates, not lineinfile. That way, every playbook run will ensure that the entirety of a file is what you expect, and you don’t need to micromanage. You’ll have to write a template for the file, of course, which can be a bit irritating, but often there are community-maintained roles that will work for your use case, as long as you override a few vars at the site/group_vars level.

Another option while you’re still using lineinfile is to set the substitutions in a list of dicts, and update the task to assume state=present, but support overrides to state=absent. Example:

---
# group_vars/all.yml
dns_nameservers_prepend:
  - regexp: "^prepend domain-name-servers"
    line: "prepend domain-name-servers {{ hostvars['bind-host']['ansible_host'] }};"
    state: absent
# tasks/main.yml (whatever source file you posted the excerpt from)
- name: cleanup old nameservers config
  lineinfile:
    path: /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
    regexp: "{{ item.regexp }}"
    line: "{{ item.line }}"
    state: "{{ item.state|default(omit) }}"
  with_items: "{{ dns_nameservers_prepend }}"

Then you can make a one-line change to the vars to toggle present/absent. The template solution is what I’d prefer for long-term maintenance, but perhaps the stopgap will be useful to you, as well.

Does that work for you?

1 Like

I think so. I used lineinfile because at this time I wanted to not overload my influence on system’s conf, but I agree, for this specific example, it was a bad choice.

1 Like