Is the Arabic translation ready for the release?

Bonjour,

I’m inclined to think the Arabic translation is ready for the release. I’m asking because there still are a few pending suggestions: have they been addressed to your satisfaction ?

The 0.5 release is scheduled tomorrow and it would be great to have a confirmation that it is ready to go. I don’t think there would be a release blocker at this point but … better safe than sorry :wink:

Cheers

1 Like

It looks like @ramyraoof reviewed and edited quite a bit of content over the weekend, so I am assuming the Arabic translations are good to go. I am looking through the strings that are marked as needing edits or review just to make sure they are set.

Hello @erinm, @dachary i am still working on the Arabic. I am doing full review to of all strings as it needs proper plumbing and improvements, unfortunately i was plugged in here very recently so didnt enough have enough chance to go through all strings i am only done with small portion and planning to go through the rest this week. I understand a release is planned, but i image we can continue doing it anyway to enhance the quality for later releases/updates.

• Edit: since i didnt get chance to finish/check all strings and from the variations i have seen, i would say the Arabic is not ready yet.
1 Like

Hey @ramyraoof, the next release is scheduled for end of January, so improvements can be made in that period. I guess the question is, in your opinion is the quality good enough to release and with your partial edits, is the terminology still consistent? Or did you change some key terms that should be updated across the whole resource?

No the terminologies and logic are not consistent, i did changes through the process (i am now by string 115 only) and many terms are not the same, plus i already noticed in many transnationals the text in the field is written with two suggestions not one term (i.e the Arabic translation says literally: this word or that word) and in few cases it had some typos…etc.

I think either to postpone the Arabic release - or along if its important to release the Arabic to tag/mark it with work in progress or something that make others understand its not 100% ready for usability. - @erinm

1 Like

@ramyraoof I’m glad you voice your concern, thanks a lot. I vote we postpone to the next release so it can be fixed without rushing. What do you say @redshiftzero ?

Thanks @ramyraoof

If you have time throughout the review, it would be really helpful if you could add comments either associated with strings in Weblate or here in the forum when you think there are recurring grammatical and terminology errors (not just fluke errors) so that we can be sure to avoid those issues in the future and open up discussion with the other translators that worked on this project. Even subjective stylistic issues that are helpful to have documented to retain consistency across future releases.

Hey everyone - since Arabic is not quite ready to go yet, I agree with @dachary that we should hold off on including it in SecureDrop 0.5. No worries at all - we had to push another feature that we’re bundling into a small release planned in 1 week (0.5.1: https://github.com/freedomofpress/securedrop/milestone/37), so we can include the translations then if they’re ready. Else we can include them in the release planned for January 23.

Thanks again for all your work on these translations so far @erinm and @ramyraoof! :smiley:

@ramyraoof please let us know as soon as you finish to review the translation. You have plenty of time until the next scheduled release. But if it is ready sooner we may be able to publish it in a minor release.

For the record this is tracked by the issue https://github.com/freedomofpress/securedrop/issues/2677

Yes sure i will update you all here once i finish and i will make sure to progress faster. Thank you @dachary

2 Likes

Thank you, Ramy, for hording me here :slight_smile:

I just finished a complete revision as well.
But it hasn’t appeared yet in the testing instance, what does it take to do so?

I second Ramy in judging that the previous translation was lacking in many ways, including one or two places where the translation was wrong, but mostly problems with consistency, terminology, ambiguity and style.

I will need to test in live to make sure some modes of speech are adequate, and then, as far as I’m concerned, we’ll be ready for release. So please take a look, @ramyraoof, and tell me if you notice anomalies.

Here’s a summary of what I did (in Arabic for relevancy):
أجريت التغييرات التالية:

• تصويب أخطاء ترجمة في حالت قليلة (مثل why-journalist-key.html:4)

• توحيد مقابل authentication على “استيثاق”. في الترجمة السابقة كانت كل من “تصديق” و “تحقق” مستعملتين. “تصديق” في الحقيقة مقابل “certify” و "تحقّق مقابل “verify”. على ذلك فإنه فيما يتعلّق باستعمال 2FA فإن الوصف يكون “الاستيثاق بخطوتين”.

• توحيد “عطل” كمقابل error لتلافي شبهة وقوع خطأ في الإدخال من المستخدم و تبيين أن العطل في هذه الحالة متعلّق بدواخل النظام، و هذا ينطبق على كلّ الجالات المستعملة فيها الكلمة هنا.

• صياغات عامة للعبارات بهدف زيادة الوضوح و تقليل الغموض، الاتّساق في الاسلوب.

• استبدال صيغة “قم بفعل” بصيغة “افعل”

• توحيد “ولوج” كمقابل “log in” لتلافي اللبس مع “تسجيل المستخدمين” بمعنى “فتح حساب”، و هو لبس شائع في واجهات التطبيقات و مربك.

• توحيد “الإداري” كمقابل admin

• تجنّب “الـ” و “بـ” المقطوعتين بصيغ أخرى أصلح

• تقليل المبالغة في “الرجاء”. ليست كل please في الإنكليزية تقابلها “رجاء في العربية”.

• استعمال صيغة الأمر على عناصر واحة المستخدم التي تؤدي إلى تغيير حالة النظام (عكس الروابط المعلوماتية أو عناوين الأقسام) لتوضيح أن النظام سيفعل أفعالا معينة، و هو مهم لتقليل الحاجة للتجريب بهدف فهم النظام

1 Like

awesome ya @gharbeia i am very glad you managed time for this :slight_smile: thanks a lot for the summary its always useful to see how one could improve and learn better together for this and other projects - i will also check your reviews to the strings to learn from my mistakes. Loic is handling the push of translations to the demo instance, its a manual process that takes him few minutes and i just pinged him [@dachary] to push the new Arabic revision so we can proceed and check it. I will take a lot and let you know.

And it seems all is going well without delay & we are probably going to be ready to patch the Arabic with the coming 12 December release 0.5.1 :raised_hands:

[pinging @erinm & @redshiftzero to update them on the progress)

1 Like

It’s done. Also note there are 4 strings that changed and need updating. Hopefully it is minor.

Yesterday night it was decided to postpone the release until early january. Not because of translations :slight_smile: Rather because the major reason for this release (tor repositories) needs to be carefully tested and the deadline is coming too fast and it would be stressful.

I apologize for this delay: you managed to be ahead of the deadline and you could have taken more time.

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks @dachary for letting us know, this will give us more time to review and fine-tune.

ping - @gharbeia we have more time for plumbing.

1 Like

Hello guys, I’m a native Arabic speaker and I hope to contribute to translating this project… I’ve seen your post Mr. @gharbeia and @ramyraoof and I really like your translations but in my opinion I think the best translation uses terms that Arabic speakers understand well, so In some cases you don’t have be so formal.

Here’s my opinion about your summary Mr. @gharbeia:

• الأفضل ترجمة كلمة log in إلى تسجيل الدخول (كما هي معروفة لدى المجتمع العربي ومعتمدة تقنيًا في أغلب المشاريع)
  • أرى ان كلمة error في أغلب المشاريع التقنية يُقابلها معنى “خطأ”
1 Like

مرحبا يا أبوشنب،

مسألة التعريب فيها مذاهب عديدة و اتجاهات متباينة و أحيانا متعارضة، و هي ككل مسائل اللغويات مسيّسة و تشهد معارك حامية الوطيس عادة، و تشوبها نزعات القوميات، فاحذر :smile:
و هي مسألة فلسفية أيضا.

بخصوص درجة الرسمية في التعريب، فتفضيلي هو استخدام درجة من الرسمية تتناسب و روح التطبيق و الغرض منه.

و في حالتنا هذه فهذا تطبيق “جاد للغاية” إذا ما جاز الوصف، و استعماله من المفترض أن يكون في سياق مهني، علاوة على كونه تطبيقًا أمنيًا يتعلّق بسلامة مستخدميه وصولا إلى درجة الحياة و الموت.

في سياق كهذا فرأيي أنّ الدقة التقنية و الوضوح الشديد في الصياغات اللغوية و تحرّي عدم اللبس لها أولوية مطلقة.

تعليقك "in my opinion I think the best translation uses terms that Arabic speakers understand well"
هو أس مسألة التعريب، و هو سؤال له أجوبة بعدد متحدّثي العربية.

لكني إذا قصرت عبارتك هذه على المثالين اللذين تعلّق عليهماتحديدا فرأيي:

• إنه بالرغم من شيوع استعمال كلمة “تسجيل الدخول” في تطبيقات عديدة إلا أنها في رأيي تترك مجالا للبس مع “تسجيل” التي تستعمل عادة بمعنى register. علما بأن استعمال “ولوج” ليس غير مشهود.

• فعلا error تعرّب على “خطأ” في أغلب المشروعات التقنية لكني أرى أن السياقات التي تستعمل فيها يناسبها بالعربية أكثر “عطل”، بخاصة عندما ترد في سياقات ينبغي التمييز فيها بين “الخطأ” و “العطل”، حيث الأوّل عادة ما يكون خطأ في المدخلات التي ينوقّعها النظام، و الثاني كثيرا ما يكون عطلا في آلية عمل النظام لا علاقة له بالمستخدم و لا يد له في تلافيه. و هو تمييز يفتقر إليه الاستعمال الإنجليزي المتوارث.
    مثلا:
    "حدث عطل أثناء تسجيل المستخدم في قاعدة البيانات. الرجاء إبلاغ الإداري.“
    و
    "تعذر إنشاء حساب المستخدم بسبب حدوث عطل أثناء توليد كلمة السر. يمكنك المحاولة مجدًّدا.”

من المسائل المطروحة في نقاشات التعريب مسألة عدم وجوب تكرار الغموض و اللبس الموروثة عن اللغات المصدر. بمعنى أن الاستعمالات الإنجليزية في السياقات التقنية أحيانا ما تكون غامضة و غير دقيقة، لكنها تكون راسخة بفعل عقود من الاستعمال و أحيانا لقيود تقنية لم تعد قائمة (مثلا: كلمة ERR تشغل من الشاشة و الذاكرة حيّزا أقل مما تشغله كلمة malfunction) بل أحيانا ما تكون عبارات واجهات التطبيقات ركيكة للغاية في إنجليزيتها (المبرمجون ليسوا أدباء)، و ليس علينا في رأيي اقتفاء الاختيارات التي اتّخذها هؤلاء في رحلتهم التقنية وصولا إلى اليوم، ما دمنا غير مقيّدين بقيودهم. في المقابل لدينا قيود تقنية أخرى، مثل مسائل النوع و العدد و صعوبات عرض التشكيل أحيانا، إلخ، و هي كلّها تفرض علينا أنماطا لغوية للتحايل عليها ربّما لم نكن لنلجأ إليها في وسيط آخر (أو يُفترض ذلك، لأن الواقع أن الناس صاروا يكتسبون اللغة من تطبيقات الحواسيب!)

كما أنه من المفيد دوما الاطلاع على الحلول التي أُتي بها في اللغات الأخرى غير الإنجليزية.