Preparing for i18n right now

Thank you so much for ramping up the speed on getting translations to SecureDrop!

I’m involved in running the SecureDrop instance for the Norwegian Broadcasting Corp (NRK), and as most of our readers use Norwegian we have been discussing how we could help out in order to make translations happen.

So could of course at least contribute with translations to Norwegian. I could also try to get some more people to help out in order to spread the burden and also get reviewers of the translated strings.

Maybe a stupid question: Has it been discussed if the interfaces should set locale based on browser/OS settings alone, or also letting the user choose translation (i.e. bilingual sites)?

Excellent question :slight_smile: It has been discussed in the past indeed. In the current implementation, for the sake of simplicity, it is based on the Browser language preference as sent in the Accept-Languages header. It would however be convenient to let the users choose the language they want. Adding a drop down menu with supported languages to the journalist & source interface, just what you would expect on any internationalized web site, seems the best option.

A post was split to a new topic: Norwegian translation

@dachary I think the best choice would be to use the following

1. Use a configured default locale
  2. Override that with Accept-Language
  3. Override that with a manual selection (set in the cookie)

I think #3 is super important because if there are multiple translations, and something is ambiguous, the user should be able to switch to another language to help them figure out what was actually meant. Also, it drives me INSANE when websites force me to use the language they think I want. The selectors I used in my old SD PR provide this mechanism.