Something happened to "some" and "many" things!

Hallo,

I’m glad i’m finally able to work on this. Something I wanted to do since 2010 (to its precursor). I hop it will start to be used in Arabic speaking locales soon.

and I have a question:
in journalist_app/utils.py:193

The English currently has “{num} collection deleted” and “{num} collections deleted”, namely, singular and plural.

But the Arabic currently has strings for 6 plural forms which are not actually plural forms, but are rather [intentionally] varying in ambiguity in reporting the number of items acted on, followed by a count:

The same in journalist_app/utils.py:140 except those have no count at the end of the string.

Can anybody explain this to me?

That’s a very interesting question and I’m not sure I’m able to answer because I lack the required knowledge in Arabic. Calling @redshiftzero and @erinm to the rescue :slight_smile:

@gharbeia The way that Weblate has plurals set up for Arabic is pretty confusing. If you hover over the ‘?’ by each of the vague quantifiers (‘many’, ‘few’ etc.) you will see that there actually are numerical values associated with them. They are based on the language plural rules from the Unicode Consortium.

Just in case you want more context for the plural options provided, you can refer to “Grammatical Case of the Numbers & the Counted Words.” I initially was confused that there were more options than just 0, 1, 2, 3 - 10 and 11 +, but it has to do with the noun case of the numbered item in addition to whether it’s singular or plural >_<

1 Like

Thanks, @erinm.

I have reasonable understanding of plural forms in Arabic since it is my native language, polished by work on several localisation projects for the past decade.

I was hoping that some other localisers into Arabic would enlighten me on the peculiar choice before I set out to change it.

I hadn’t seen the hover-over info because I’m working on the po file in Virtaal. But I will take a look. I will follow the example of the other 6-form plurals adopted here in other strings.

Regards,

Here’s a related question and part of my confusion:

In journalist_app/utils.py:140, the English string has no {num} variable. understandable with its binary plural forms doesn’t need it, but the equivalent Arabic in the current translation uses ambiguous quantifiers to the meanings of “some” “many” and a definite that could imply “all” for the the three plural encoded cases.

My question: could the variable {num} be used here at all? Or is not not accounted for in the code.

I proposed a modification to add {num} as you suggest. Does this address your concern ?

Hi @gharbeia,

@ ramyraoof is the other translator currently reviewing on the project. Feel free to mention them in discussions and comments that you would like their input on so that they get an email notification.

Best,

YES!
Thanks, @dachary