Dutch translations

There are obviously disagreements on some basic terms in Dutch. Let’s dump them here, find people that want to review etc.

I’ll start with 2FA, example string:

Please wait for a new two-factor token before logging in again.

I contacted this summer Taaladvies.net, got a reply from taaltelefoon (vlaanderen.be):

" Taalkundig gesproken zijn zowel samenstellingen als woordgroepen mogelijk: bijvoorbeeld tweetrapsauthenticatie, tweefactorauthenticatie en tweestapsauthenticatie naast authenticatie in twee stappen."

This doesn’t help us much. What we’ve seen already in SD:

1. Wacht op een nieuw tweeledige verificatie-token alvorens opnieuw in te loggen.
  2. Wacht op een nieuwe beveiligingscode voor twee-factor authenticatie voordat u opnieuw probeert in te loggen.
  3. Wacht op een nieuw tweeledige verificatie-token alvorens opnieuw in te loggen.

Dutch IT-media seems to favor tweetrapsauthenticatie, google uses a wordgroup … everything is possible, but it’s best to stick to one translation that’s best understood. I personally think that ‘tweeledige verificatie’ is incorrect, because missing the authentification part, but I’m not sure what would be best understood among our readers. Feel free to drag your colleagues into this discussion, add other terms and make sure we’ll get some glossary someday.

I’d also like to have a passphrase sprint together with other people that master Dutch…

Since there haven’t been any hits here, I’ve reached out to a couple of translators outside of the forum. Will direct them here or post responses on their behalf if they don’t want to sign up for the forum.

1 Like

Response from the Deflect translator who I just forwarded your feedback to :slight_smile:

Your case about 2FA is indeed a tough one. In Deflect I translated it to ‘twee-staps-authenticatie’. Reading the explanation from taaltelefoon, I understand that translating it this way is considered correct. Google uses ‘authenticatie in twee stappen’, but it’s not practical to use this term. Apple uses ‘twee-factor-authenticatie’ and ‘twee-staps-verificatie’. There are a lot of ways to write it when you search the internet.

My recommendation: ‘twee-staps-authenticatie’. To be clear, ‘tweeledig’ is not a great translation and should not be used in my opinion.

1 Like

Another opinion from AnneM in Transifex:

I agree with “twee-staps-authenticatie”

1 Like

Thanks @erinm! Disagreement seems unsolved, I’ll paste the full conversation with the ‘taaladvies’ here:

Titel tweetrapsauthenticatie, tweefactorauthenticatie, authenticatie in twee stappen
Vraag Sommige samenstellingen zijn relatief nieuw of zie ik op teveel verschillende manieren vertaald en gebruikt om nog te weten ‘hoe het hoort:’ tweetrapsauthenticatie, twee-factor authenticatie, authenticatie in twee stappen of twee-factor-authenticatie? eur-lex.europa.eu vertaalt het zelfs met “dubbele authenticatie” wat me helemaal fout lijkt (want impliceert 2x hetzelfde wachtwoord).
Antwoord

Taalkundig gesproken zijn zowel samenstellingen als woordgroepen mogelijk: bijvoorbeeld tweetrapsauthenticatie, tweefactorauthenticatie en tweestapsauthenticatie naast authenticatie in twee stappen.

Let’s get rid of the hyphens!