SecureDrop style guide

Hey @communia

As you suggested, I will add a per-language style guide to the SecureDrop localization documentation. Would you be so kind as to write a few lines about something specific to Portuguese? That would help clarify the purpose of this chapter with a concrete example. I’m thinking about the formal vs non formal debate, but I’m in no position to actually describe what it is nor what decision was made :wink:

Thank in advance!

1 Like

@communia gentle ping?

@dachary
Hey Loic,
I’ve being talking to another translator of Secure Drop about writing a styleguide and maybe the first step would be to ask for contributions from translators of other languages as well. What do you think?
Also, @erinm might be interested in this topic.
Cheers,
C.

Right! Let’s move that topic up to the more general Translation category :slight_smile:

Loic,

Voici l’appel à contributions. Qu’est-ce que tu en penses? Tu veux changer/rajouter quelque chose?
Bonne soirée

This message is addressed to all translators of SecureDrop.
During a session dedicated to discussing translations style guide at the Localization Lab Summit that took place in Valencia in March 2018, a first draft was created to serve as reference to translators. You’ ll find it here:https://pad.riseup.net/p/Drafting_a_Style_Guide

The idea is to continue that discussion here, with translators of SecureDrop who would be interested in contributing to create a more general style guide starting by the issues we encounter in our local languages and how we solve them.

For example, when deciding which tone to use (formal, informal, slang, technical) we can think about who is our audience and who we wish to make
the tool accessible to.
The use of gender neutral language is another topic that might be part of translation style guides and that is sometimes overlooked. For example, in languages derived from Latin, nouns and adjectives are gendered, what puts some difficulties to translate and eventually results in rewriting phrases entirely.

If everybody willing to take part in this discussion agrees, the style guides will be more general. Alternatively, each language team can create their own style guide, adapted to their language. I probably can also happen simultaneously, actually.

Thank you for your contribution.

2 Likes

This looks good, would you like to post that as a new thread? It occus to me that such a guide would be best hosted in the localizationlab wiki. And SecureDrop localization guide could point to it. It makes much more sense to have that for all Internet Freedom Tools as the content of your draft suggests. :100:

1 Like

Oh, I’ve just read your first message again. So, it’s better to create a common discussion that could be followed by local style guides. I’ll correct that and post as new thread. ok?

1 Like

I’ll correct that and post as new thread. ok?

Yes!

Hello @communia and @dachary sorry I’m late to the discussion!
I would love to see a style guide developed for broader “Internet Freedom Tools” using SecureDrop as an example.

I would like to hear other individuals’ thoughts on how this could be structured best. I had imagined a project-based style guide with guidelines that are relevant across languages and then project-specific guidelines and language guides with broader guidelines not tied to this particular technology.

From building a SecureDrop style guide and language style guides for use with SecureDrop, we can pull a draft skeleton for other projects and languages that can then evolve.

Would love to house this on the Localization Lab wiki if that is a place that others agree makes sense to house it.

1 Like

Also want to mention that the notes from the Summit have some musings about what a draft style guide would contain, however it is not in itself a draft, so a lot more work needs to be done there. I have a very bare bones template that I use at sprints at times that I will add to the notes. It is a series of questions to get people who are not professional translators to start thinking about style and grammar.

1 Like